Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Road Day 2

We, rather I, woke up ridiculously early this morning (4:00 a.m.) Dave was already up. He usually gets up crazy early and I sleep through it all until about 6:30 or 7:00, but today I couldn’t sleep. I think because I knew we wanted to get out on the road early. Well, early it was, 5:00 a.m.! We drove from Laurel, MT (just outside Billings) all the way to St. Regis, about 410 miles. You will recall we stayed at St. Regis on our journey to South Dakota (see post) and enjoyed Campground St. Regis, so we decided to stay here again. We needed laundry done and they have the cleanest laundry room, and bathrooms, I have seen. A really nice place to stop if you are in the area.

By the way, when I say “we drove” that means I actually got behind the wheel this time. Normally Dave does all the driving. When we were in Sheridan, WY we were parked next to a really nice woman named Vivian. She & her husband had sold their home in Florida in 2006 and started full timing. Her husband died a year later, but she has kept going by herself. She drives a huge Class A (the kind of RV that looks like a bus) with a car in tow (also known as a “toad”) and handles the entire thing herself. I felt rather silly that I was afraid to drive a pickup pulling a 30 foot fifth-wheel after meeting her.

The drive was long but we have our sights set on Lincoln City Oregon again. We have bought a 1000 Trails membership and everything should be all finalized by Friday or Monday. We, of course, want to get started using the membership campgrounds and have our hopes set on either Seaside, Oregon or Pacific City, Oregon. We will see where we can get in. I’m quite excited about it, the campgrounds look great!

While I was getting the laundry going Dave took Cheyenne for a walk. The park has a number of carved wooden figures, fish, pelican and bears. Evidently Cheye was caught off guard when going by one of the bears and got spooked. Dave calmed her and finally got her to go up and sniff the bear. We went by again later and she still wasn’t completely sure of it but decided it was okay after all...see for yourself:
both still photos were taken while driving in Montana

No comments: